Butter Lettuce with Potato and Egg Salad, Meatless Monday
Summer is sizzling – so it’s time for Main Course Salads at my house. While there is some cooking involved for this salad, it doesn’t take a lot of time. So, you won’t be heating up the kitchen much. I’ve adapted this recipe for Butter Lettuce with Potato and Egg Salad from Martha Stewart. (It’s hard to go wrong, with Martha.) Feel free to swap out whatever vegetables you have on hand – crisp ones work best for this salad.
Butter Lettuce with Potato and Egg Salad
- 1 pound baby potatoes;
- Sea salt and pepper;
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved;
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces;
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice;
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar;
- 2 heads butter lettuce, leaves separated;
- 4 large eggs, fried;
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives.
- In a pot, add potatoes and two inches of water. Bring to a boil and add salt. Cook potatoes until tender, 10 minutes or so.
- Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon.
- Add peas and asparagus to the same water and boil until tender, but still crisp. This takes about 2 minutes.
- Quarter the potatoes.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in lemon juice, sugar, salt & pepper.
- Equally divide the lettuce pieces and vegetables on 4 plates.
- Drizzle the warm dressing on top of each plate.
- Add a free range, fried egg. (You can used poached, hard boiled, or even scrambled, if you prefer.)
- Top with a sprinkle of fresh chives.
To go vegan, just skip the egg and use a butter substitute.
I like to eat outside in the summer time. Our backyard is in the shade in the evening, so we often enjoy our dinners al fresco. If you have a burner on the side of your outdoor grill, as we do, you can do cook this Butter Lettuce with Potato and Egg Salad outside. Beat the heat and enjoy your Meatless Monday!
For more Meatless Monday ideas from The Pet Matchmaker, go here.